Sunday, May 25, 2008

ill never forget the eggs again

Vanilla cupcakes


This week I was going to be baking only on a weekday, so i thought I'd do something quick so as not to lose sleep especially since i gotta get up for wakeboarding the next day. I was kinda lost for inspiration at first, then suddenly remembered that I had always wanted to redo the vanilla cupcakes I tried and failed at several months ago. This time, I tried a new recipe, and even prepared a piping bag so as to give a nicer top of frosting. ( the first time i did this my frosting was just randomly smeared on =X)


Anyway, everything was going according to plan, I was quite proud of myself since I am now experienced enough to work almost without directions, just needing the proportions in the recipe, and I did everything as I should, creamed the butter and sugar sufficiently, sifted my flour, mixed my milk and vanilla, and took great care not to overbeat when combining everything together. However, just as I was spooning them in the muffin cups, I felt that something seemed weird, the colour and texture was off, and after a few moments thought, I came to the most shocking realisation ever, I HAD FORGOT TO ADD IN MY EGGS! Oh my god, I can remember myself just staring at my incomplete batter in total shock, and cursing myself for being too overconfident. Well, luckily, i managed to cheat and just beat them into the batter at the end and the cupcakes turned out edible. They were a little mushy and sweet, and far too milky for my preference ( I hate milk ), but it was still smooth and had a nice vanilla fragrance, and it was a huge improvement from my first time making this ( Maybe its the recipe).


To decorate, I went with a lemon buttercream frosting, but, my lemon was very very very sour, so my frosting tasted abit strange, with the sourness of the lemon conflicting with the icing sugar, but at least it looked nice, especially with the hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top. Ill probably try other frostings in future, less creamy ones since i prefer it sugary. I did something different with a few of the cupcakes, something I learnt in a blog somewhere ( Sorry to the owner, I cant remember what your blog is, but i remember the recipe), where I dip the tops of the cupcake in melted butter then roll it in cinnamon sugar giving it a cinnamon sugar coat, I might have did something wrong here, since I couldnt really taste the layer of sugar on top, or the cinnamon, maybe the flavour of my cupcakes was too strong, ( If anyone else tries this and it works, please let me know how you did it ).


Anyway, heres the recipe, its really quite simple, so anyone who wants to try should go ahead, Ill probably make this again, when I have more ideas for toppings, and maybe tweak the recipe around until I get the perfect vanilla cupcake recipe =X


Magnolia Vanilla Cupcakes


105g self raising flour

90g plain flour

115g butter (add 1/2 tsp of salt to the recipe if using unsalted butter)

180g caster sugar

2 eggs ( PLEASE DONT FORGET THEM LIKE ME)

1/2 cup milk (Try to be exact, I went slightly over half cup and it turned out abit too moist and milky)

1 tsp vanilla


1. Mix the milk and vanilla together, set aside.

2. Sift flours together, set aside.

3. Cream butter in an electric mixer, then add in the sugar and cream until white and fluffy ( 3-5 mins minimum)

4. ADD IN EGGS ONE AT A TIME, MIXING THROUGHLY AFTER EACH ADDITION

5. Add the dry and wet ingredients to the butter/sugar/egg mixture alternatingly in many parts, starting and ending with the dry ingredients ( flour, milk, flour, milk, flour). Mix just enough to combine after each addition ( DO NOT OVERBEAT)

6. Spoon into muffin tins and bake at 180 degrees for 25 mins, taking them out when a toothpick inserted into each cupcake turns out dry.

7. Allow to cool and top with whatever you like



Sorry, the lighting in my house is really bad at night. (WTB Photographer, and food decorating course )

No comments: