Sunday, May 18, 2008

Can the weather get any hotter? (Apple Crumble)

Omg, totally screw this weather, its just gettting hotter and hotter everyday, to the point even my baking is affected, I couldnt get a cab home when I went grocery shopping yesterday, so my sticks of butter had to brave the heat as I walked home from the mrt, thank goodness, while I was sweating enough to fill a bucket, my butter did not turn into a bag of liquid fat.


Well, that butter was for my most recent baking foray, an apple crumble, which is by far one of my favourite desserts, which I made for my mahjong khakis to munch on while i take their money off their hands, and of course, so I have an excuse to eat lots of it claiming its all a taste test.


To continue on this "perfect" weather we are having, apple crumble requires me to make a pastry by cutting in cold butter with flour, and my butter was melting alot faster than I could work, until I could not follow the recipe properly anymore, since my pastry was turning from nice crumbles to a big slop of dough. Bleah. I had to make 4 batches of it, and it was driving me nuts.


I also didnt forsee any problems in trying to cut the apples, which I thought would be quite fun, until I almost cut my fingers off, thrice, causing my Mum and my maid to chase me away from the chopping board and end up cutting the remainder of my apples forme, well, Im quite thankful of that for sure, since by the 3rd time the knife reached my fingers, I was beginning to get very very nervous.


Luckily, after all thr frustrations and dangers involved, the crumble turned out quite nice, I thought everything was just great, except the bottom layer of pastry ( My mum suggested a base for it, but I had no idea how to make one, so I just used packed up crumble pastry and it didnt really bake as well as the rest of the crumble) At least, most people liked it, my mahjing khaki almost finished all of it, so I assume it tastes fine, and even better with ice cream. I dont think I can be a good judge since I am totally biased towards almost any crumble being nice, so ill just make more in the future and let others findout for themselves. But of course, like everything I bake, I seem to have added a little too much sugar. =)


Sadly, crumbles dont seem to give nice pics thou, so heres the nicest I have, and if anyone wants to help me take pics, or teach me how, you are most welcome, coz I really dont know how to take nice pics =X.



And for those who watch Yakitate Japan, I would really want to see how anyone with Solar Hands try and bake in this weather.

No comments: