Sunday, June 8, 2008

Is it a brownie? Or a cake?

Firstly, I need to apologize to Jolene, coz I gave her a bad corn muffin. =X



As I was saying earlier on, I wanted to try something new this week, my first idea was a chocolate banana cake, but.. my house kinda ran out of bananas when I wanted to bake, so I settled for this thing called a Chocolate Almond Torte. This was interesting to make too, especially since it used alot of methods I am not familiar with, most of the cakes I've made so far all use the creaming method, so its nice to try something else for a change.



Here it is, I wasn't really sure if I did it right, since it was quite soft, but held its shape well, and it tasted cooked, so I assume it should be like that. Then again, maybe I didnt whisk my eggs properly. But, the overall feedback was quite good =) Brought some out for the RJ pple when I went to meet em for dinner yest. ( thanks guys! ) It was abit too rich on the chocolate, but luckily, not too sweet that its sickening, and the texture was a little soft and mushy, kind of like a Mrs. Field's Brownie, but a little softer. Sadly, after all the work buying and toasting almonds, I couldnt really taste em =X, next time I do something like this, I'll make sure I use whole nuts, bet that will be alot better. But generally, I thought this was one of the better things I have done so far. Really pays off to try something new.


Well, for those who are wondering what a torte actually is, it just means a flourless cake, which explains the brownie like texture and the softness. This is the first time I had to whisk egg whites, and I dont really think I got the technique yet, to be honest.. I didnt even dare separate the whites and the yolks myself. And I learnt something new, cream of tartar is used to stabilize egg whites, like wth? I imagined it to be used to make tartar sauce, and stabilize?? I kinda felt that I was working with like hazardous material or something. Well, always good to gain new knowledge.


After all this time baking, I realised that cakes are still way more fun to make than muffins or cupcakes, I dont really know why either, but i gain much more excitement from baking cakes, as well as thinking of what cake to bake, maybe its because theres just so many different things I can try. Also, I realised that there are loads and loads and loads of baking ingredients that I really want, I'm starting to build up my small stash of baking goods already, but it's not enough =P Im definitely going to go shopping for more, I heard theres a shop near sembawang mrt that specializes in baking goods, have to check it out. Stay tuned for next week! Hopefully I'll be able to get down to making my banana cake, or, perhaps a cheesecake, been ages since I did that =)

No comments: